Monday, June 23, 2008

Veggie Scramble

I work as a live-in caregiver for the elderly and one of the problems we have is getting them to eat enough veggies and fruit. I made this for a client this morning and she loved it!
.
This recipe is one of the many reasons I have for saving even small bits of leftovers. I'm going to tell you what I used this morning and then give other suggestions so you can create your own unique veggie scrambles.
.
For two people I used:
3 eggs, if you add enough other stuff you can cut down on the amount of eggs you use
Some leftover broccoli and carrots, cooked
1/2 stalk chopped celery
small amount of green peppers and onions, diced
1/2 small tomato, diced
small handful of shredded cheese
Spray your skillet with cooking spray.
Saute celery, green peppers and onions lightly
Beat and add eggs, broccoli and carrots and scramble
When the eggs are almost done add the cheese and tomatoes
.
Now all you need is a slice of whole wheat toast with a little bit of jam to make a great breakfast
.
You don't need to add everything that I did, the only really necessary thing is the eggs. Now for other things you can throw in there to make your scramble unique
Any leftover veggies
Small amount leftover meat
Leftover potatoes diced or microwave a small potato and dice
grated carrots
mushrooms
Small amount of zucchini or yellow squash, diced
Crumbled bacon or diced sausage
.
I'll add more as I go. Please leave a comment and let me know what combinations you have tried.

No comments: